Thursday, March 4, 2010

We're DEFINITELY not having a small baby

We're going to the OB every week now.  At my last visit, we had an ultrasound to see how things are going.  Here's what we learned:
  1. His head is down.  Good news!
  2. He has a beer gut.  My doctor's not worried about his head getting out.  She's worried about his belly getting out.  His abdomen is measuring bigger than his head right now.  His abdomen is measuring about 39 weeks (I'm in my 36th week).  His head and femur are measuring about 37 weeks.
  3. He's going to be a big baby.  His current weight is estimated to be about 7.5 lbs, which puts him in the 80th percentile for weight.  In the last month, babies gain an average of a half pound per week.  With 4 weeks left to go, he could be a 9+ lb baby!
So, I'm kinda freakin' out about how big he is/could be.  Greg is amused that he's on the big side and says that I've done a good job feeding him.  Uh huh....he doesn't have to push Baby Boy Tai out into this world!

We'll have another ultrasound in a few weeks to see how things are progressing and determine how Baby Boy Tai will arrive in this world.  This seems to depend on a couple of things: 1) the size of his belly relative to his head and 2) his estimated weight.  As i understand it, these are the possible outcomes:
  1. If his belly is still measuring bigger than his head, I'll most likely have a C-section because there's a risk that he could get stuck part way through deliver. 
  2. If his weight is more than 9 lbs, I'll most likely have a C-section because he'll be too big.
  3. If his weight is arobund 8 or 8.5 lbs, I'm going to be induced earlier than his due date (March 31).
    Sounds like he is definitely going to be born in March though.  My OB doesn't want me to go past 40 weeks because he's only going to get bigger!

    No comments: