Monday, January 7, 2008

The Dark Side

We have some friends who are always inviting us to "come to the dark side." What's the dark side? The dark side is when you live a more sedentary and sloth-like life. And it typically happens to many of our friends after they get married. Instead of going out and doing something active, you end up sitting in front of the TV with your wife/hubby watching the latest reality TV show, maybe snacking on ice cream, chips or something else along those lines.

We've been pretty good at resisting the dark side until this past holiday season. All of our volleyball leagues were on hiatus. The weather was gloomy, cold and wet. Throw in all the holiday eating and drinking. Whammo! We are on the verge of joining the dark side. I admit it's really nice being lethargic, sleeping in, taking naps, and basically doing nothing. I can see how the dark side can be oh so tempting.

But instead of succumbing to the forces of evil, we will wield our light sabers and fight! We will join the rebel alliance and fight the power of the dark side. Our volleyball leagues start this week. In fact, one of mine started last night. It's a new league that I haven't played in for quite some time. As I was walking out the door, I felt like it was the first day of school at a new school. I was excited, but also a bit anxious about what to expect. When I got to the gym, I realized that I new quite a few people in the league and it was like playing with old friends. It
felt really good to be playing again (even though I was really rusty).

I also signed up to run the Napa Valley Trail Half-Marathon at the end of March with some friends. I started training today and had to run 3 miles. That was harder than I expected it to be. I'm not sure my knees, ankles and back can handle the training, but I'm gonna give it my best shot. I definitely need to find the phone number for that sports massage therapist who fixed me when I was training for the San Diego Rock n Roll marathon.

No comments: