Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Looking Forward to Going Home

Tonight's my last night in Orlando, and I'm really looking forward to going home tomorrow. When I told people that I was going to Orlando for work, most of the reactions were, "How fun!" or "You get to go to such cool places for work!" There was a time when I really felt that way and looked forward to traveling for work. In fact, it seemed glamorous to be a "road warrior." It was a lot of fun to travel to new cities, stay in swanky hotels, eat at really nice restaurants, earn massive mileage or hotel points and party it up all on the company dime. Who wouldn't enjoy that life?

But lately work travel isn't as fun as it used to be. Maybe it's because I'm getting old and set in my ways. Maybe it's because getting through airports with all the security requirements is such a time-consuming, pain-in-the-a$. Maybe it's because I tend to travel to the same places, which makes it less interesting. (I've been to Orlando at least 10-12 times in my career.) Maybe it's because trying to find healthy and tasty food options while you're on the road is such a challenge. Maybe it's because I'm sitting in my hotel room alone watching TV instead of hangin' out with my hubby and our dog and/or our friends. I'm sure it's a little bit of all these things.

(sigh) I'm looking forward to going home tomorrow.

No comments: